Download and install the game
Because the version available from stepmania.com does not run on macOS 10.15 Catalina, macOS 11 Big Sur and above, it is recommended to download StepMania OutFox. This version is under active development, so the steps listed below might change over time - the most up-to-date instructions can be found in the OutFox Wiki.
- Go to the Project OutFox website and download the latest release.
- If you have an Intel-based Mac (most likely if it was produced between 2006 and 2020), download the macOS (Intel-based) version.
- If you have an Apple Silicon-based Mac (M1 and other Apple chips - 2020 and newer), download the macOS (ARM-based) version.
- If you are not sure which chip type you have, click the Apple menu in the top-left corner of the screen and select About This Mac. The chip type should be listed there.
- Double-click the downloaded DMG file to open it
- Click and drag the StepMania folder to the Applications folder.
- Because StepMania OutFox is currently not digitally signed, you need to allow it to access external files. To do this, open Terminal (from the Other folder in Launchpad or /Applications/Utilities in Finder).
- In the Terminal window, type xattr -dr com.apple.quarantine /Applications/StepMania and press Return (replace /Applications/StepMania with a different path if you dragged the StepMania folder to a different location during installation). You can close the Terminal window now.
- You can now launch the game from Launchpad (or from the /Applications/StepMania folder in Finder).
Ok, that's it. Job well done! Now, you can see what the Next steps are.
If something went wrong, go to Troubleshooting section.
As mentioned at the beginning of the article we recommend to map your dance mat in StepMania. If you'd like to follow our advice go to: How to map your dance pad with macOS
If you'd like to install more songs for StepMania, check how to do it in this article: How to install more songs for StepMania.
If the game failed to launch:
- If the game fails to launch and the message “StepMania” can’t be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software is displayed, make sure you have correctly followed the installation step involving the Terminal.
- If you encounter other problems, check the OutFox FAQ and OutFox Wiki. You can also try asking our community on Reddit for advice.